Arizona Questions Medical Marijuana’s Benefits for Anxiety, Depression

New research conducted by the University of Arizona shows that there is little evidence that anxiety, migraines, PTSD, and depression can be treated by medical marijuana, according to the Department of Health Services.

The researchers conducted the study on behalf of the state Department of Health services.  The research was done as a part of determining whether these conditions should be added to Arizona’s list of debilitating conditions which qualify patients for medical marijuana use.

Researchers reviewed dozens of scientific studies related to these conditions and medical marijuana use, and determined that the studies did not do a good enough job of detailing the medical benefits and risks of using medical marijuana to treat these conditions.

However, the lack of scientific evidence for the benefits of medical marijuana is large in part due to the fact that it is technically a controlled substance, which limits the type of research that can be done.  This is agreed upon by both medical marijuana advocates and state health officials.

In the decision regarding whether these four conditions should be added to Arizona’s list of debilitating illnesses, state health officials must base their decision on science, not just first hand accounts from patients.  They have heard countless stories from users whose lives have been bettered by using medical marijuana for anxiety and depression, but without the scientific research to back the stories up, health officials’ hands are tied.

State Health Director Will Humble explained, “The key question for us is: Do the benefits outweigh the risks?  And there’s just not that much research in this area to help form our policy decisions.”

Later this month, Humble will decide whether the state will expand their list of conditions that are eligible for medical marijuana therapy.  Under Arizona’s medical marijuana law, the state health department must periodically accept and review petitions to allow new medical conditions into the program.

These current conditions are under consideration from the first round of petitions.

AZDank420 said on Jul 17, 2012

This is bullshit… enough with the "tests", people for the most part know what helps them and what doesn't. You could look at those symptoms and use common knowledge to understand it helps those people.
    Not to mention I have multiple patients come into my shop with PTSD who would claim otherwise

AZ Dank

Max_Freedom said on Jul 17, 2012

"Do the benefits outweigh the risks?"
    Yes, because the risks are mostly fictitious.
    If you can give patients incredibly dangerous drugs like Xanax to treat anxiety, then patients should have the choice of trying a MUCH safe alternative.
    I suppose we could blow tons of tax money on a study to find out what we already know.
    Cannabis Indica has a calming effect on people? Holy Shit.

BA said on Jul 17, 2012

It definitely benefits PTSD sufferers….same with migraines. What a bunch of BS.

app25 said on Jul 18, 2012

Do the benefits outweigh the risk.. I have said it from the start Arizona has one of the most fucked up state political systems in the country. They don't know what the fuck hy are doing and are so sloppy it is sad. Their ignorance to medicine and racial injustice and beating weather makes it one of the worst states in the US. I would never live in Arizona they let poor judgement influence their decisions, watching tv relieves stress relieving stress is what depression PTSD and cancer all need help with. So if watching tv twiddling your dick or smoke a bowl it all relieves stress fucking idiots. How can you ignore that simple simple fact

dayzaway99 said on Jul 18, 2012

Arizona is full of stupid white people, racist ones who hate seeing mexicans and blacks have safe access. This is just what you would expect from arizona. Also police officers have the power to pull you over based off your skin color and can ask you check your proof of residence at any time, while also being able to search your vehicle, frisk you, and anyone else with you. Arizona is the worst state to live in, in the country and will probably kill their medical marijuana bill by the end of the year

SnapThtFckinBowl said on Jul 18, 2012

This is fucking ridiculous. Of course MMJ wont make any of those problems go away immediately but it instantly blunts the pain of a migrane and will help you nap it off. It helps when im so anxious that i cant fucking sit down. And if you think it wont make you feel better when you are depressed.. then i dont even know what to say to you to convince you otherwise, get a fucking brain. Of course it wont cure your depression (you wont get your job back or your wife back or whatever) but it fucking helps you cope with all of those conditions.

I can't speak much from personal exp with ptsd, but I'd bet anything that MMJ makes a hell of a difference for someone out there, and thats reason enough for me.

Elvers said on Jul 18, 2012

I talked to a guy with ptsd who was in Nam, he told me strait out that pot made his ptsd worse because he'd have worse dreams and more intense. he felt like doing him self in. but that's only one person that I know of. but I know it works on my seizures and my chest pain.

Medi-Nug said on Jul 19, 2012

All I know is that I live in Arizona, and I use marijuana to treat both anxiety and depression and would very much like to see these new conditions added.

Hans420 said on Jul 19, 2012

This is exactly what I use it for and for me, it's better than anti deppressant and their side effects. This makes me sad and very angry, who the fuck are you to determine someones pain level. No doctor or scientist will understand the mental pain I go through.