Kansas Lawmakers Make Push for Medical Marijuana

Kansas State Senator David Haley has introduced Senate Bill 9, which would legalize medical marijuana in the state for patients will debilitating illnesses.

Under the proposed bill, qualifying patients would be able to get a doctor’s recommendation to purchase medical marijuana from “compassion centers” which would be regulated and licensed by the Kansas Department of Public Health.  Patients would  be able to possess up to six ounces of marijuana and grow up to 12 marijuana plants in their homes.

Haley believes that medical marijuana legalization is inevitable in Kansas.  “It’s just going to be a matter of time before all of this country has it, and I just don’t want Kansas to be the last state to enact it,” he explained.

Haley wants Kansas to be one of the leaders in the marijuana movement, which so far is limited primarily to the northeast and western portions of the country.

The introduction of SB 9 makes this the third year in a row that a Kansas state legislator has proposed legislation to help and protect medical marijuana patients.  In past years, supporters have been denied a hearing in the Public Health and Welfare Committee, but they are determined to have the bill move forward this year.

Under current law, Kansas residents who use marijuana, even to treat a medical condition, face up to a year in jail and a $2,500 fine for a first-offense possession conviction.

BlzdAllday said on Jan 16, 2013

Woo getting there!

Nuggs42o said on Jan 16, 2013

Thats going to really kick things into gear. I know here in Kansas City theres a HUGE push for legalization in Missouri. Arkansas, Kentucky, Ohio, and Several other MidWest "Bible Belt" states are being brought to the light. LETS GO!

Felessen said on Jan 16, 2013

I grew up in Kansas, just left a few years ago. I don't see this happening any time soon, its mostly ran by ignorant fools. I hope I am wrong though….

GransToken said on Jan 16, 2013

I agree with not being the last state to have a medical marijuana. Most of the time we are looked at like we all still ride horses. We really have a great state and with our help writing our legislature. Let our state leaders know what we want.

420kc311 said on Jan 17, 2013

I got busted in kansas, I70 is hotter then ever. People in KS are crazy stoopid bout herb. No hope for medical there

Shazam said on Jan 18, 2013

good luck Kansas! I'm hoping NC will be able to stand by you and get our mmj bill passed as well :)

redlaser said on Jan 18, 2013

The bible belt will probably be the last holdout for medical bud and legalization. Hope that's wrong though.