Los Angeles Votes to Ban All Medical Marijuana Dispensaries

The Los Angeles City Council voted 13 to 1 today to ban all medical marijuana collectives in the city.  The city is calling this a “gentle ban” because patients and caregivers will still be able to grow medical marijuana, but storefront locations are now outlawed.  New collectives of up to 3 members will be allowed to work together to grow their medicine.

After the vote, marijuana supporters expressed their outrage.  Supporters reportedly began yelling at council members and police officers.

There are an estimated 800 to 1,000 collectives currently operating in the city of Los Angeles.  Many city residents complained that the over saturation of collectives was leading to increased crime in their neighborhoods.  Over the course of the past 5 years, since a medical marijuana moratorium was put into place in the city, council members and city officials have struggled to regulate the booming medical marijuana industry.

In addition to the outright ban, a secondary proposal was also approved which could allow 182 compliant collectives to remain in operation throughout the city.  With a 9 to 5 vote, the city council asked the planning commission to look at how they could possibly regulate the collectives that are registered with the city.

These collectives were initially opened before the 2007 city moratorium was put into place.  The idea of allowing some collectives to remain in operation has been proposed in various forms in the past, so it is unclear as to whether the City Council will actually go this route, or if they will stick with the full ban.

The vote just occurred, and it is expected to go into effect in the next 45 to 90 days.  It is expected that closure letters will begin going out to collective owners shortly.

Check back with NUGGETRY News as the situation continues to develop.

ogbreadman@420 said on Jul 24, 2012

Wow what the f**k guess some people will be gettin more calls:):):):):)$$$$

dallas said on Jul 24, 2012

Sucks.

BlazinAlberts said on Jul 24, 2012

Liquor. Stores everywhere and u target collectives. This is sad indeed

jibsnmoney said on Jul 24, 2012

sad day cali is going backwords

559airandtrees said on Jul 24, 2012

man this feels like im reading about fresno last summer now la this summer.

app25 said on Jul 25, 2012

As they get to choose to close clubs they get tO choose which ones remain open, why not let the patients that actually spend their money decide? California has only been getting worse with wack prices clubs closing and just bad MMJ all around the block. I'm sorry to hear this but on the bright side concentrating the dispensaries will mean concentrated business which could be good or bad. Haha I wonder how many dispensaries Denver has, we have as many dispensaries as gas stations lol

enjoi6791 said on Jul 25, 2012

close the sketchy ones keep the legit ones

dayzaway99 said on Jul 25, 2012

all my friends are arming preparing for war

Jay-Kush said on Jul 26, 2012

Increased crime ! bullshit.. that aint got nothin to do with dispenseries if anything it should decrease crime less people buying off the street , just an exuse to outlaw a perfectly harmless and important medicine 'words of the brainwashed''

iHydroEyez said on Jul 26, 2012

Will this effect cpa?

• 0

lucy said on Jul 26, 2012

No, this is only for the city of Los Angeles. CPA is located in Santa Ana, so this doesn't impact them at all.

Unza said on Jul 26, 2012

wow, just when I got my plane tickets to Cali (Orange Co.) there is a problems with the mj. I've had street mj from Cali and it is just very average and I don't understand that from a state that grows some of the best bud going.
    I sure hope I won't get to Cali and not be able to get any good mj. I can't go to a dispensary because I don't have a California mmj card, so I have to depend on street bud. I strictly smoke medically now (in the 60s and 70s I smoked for recreation and didn't smoke for years and years until 4 yrs ago when I just could not get a handle on pain enough to function).

It's a bummer what's happening with the dispensaries (personally I have always felt mj should be legal).

Now I'm starting to worry about my "week in Cali". Blessings on those who will keep fighting. Maybe when you're my age and wracked with pain ALL the time, you will be able to just go get what you need without all of this bs and politics.

Heck, you would think the way the economy is the government would welcome such a great crop to grow. It provides jobs too (not just ppl like me benefit). You can BET Big Pharma is doing everything within it's power to close collectives and dispensaries and make mmj 100% illegal. There is big bucks involved in "pain relief" via pharmaceuticals. The one thing the major drug companies don't want is for ppl (like myself) to have easy and fair access to mj.

Good luck cpa and keep fighting the good fight!

Gossett said on Jul 26, 2012

Unza, it's big pharmacy for sure and they have Obama pussy whipped.

Gossett said on Jul 26, 2012

It also sucks for me because I have no street dealer and deal directly with one collective. If mine is shut down I am fucked!

Elvers said on Aug 6, 2012

Oct 16 is around the corner guy's. were having our day in federal court don't for get that. then you guy's can sue the fuck out of these wasted peaces of flesh

Elvers said on Aug 6, 2012

you guy's should have lawyers probably telling to keep your mouths shut for a reason. to see what's going to happen with the Judges, and I don't blame them . do as the lawyer say's, you rely can't go wrong.