Long Beach, CA Police Sued After Allegedly Using Excessive Force During MMJ Collective Crackdown

In June, Long Beach, CA police raided THC Downtown Collective as a part of a city wide crackdown on medical marijuana dispensaries.  A complaint has now been filed by the collective’s employees, which claims that over $10,000 in damage was committed, as well as destruction of evidence by police and police brutality toward employees.

Surveillance videos from the day of the raid show a police officer stepping on the back and neck of Dorian Brooks, a volunteer at the collective, as he was taken into custody after surrendering to police.

In addition, police are seen destroying surveillance cameras with a metal pole.  According to NBC Los Angeles, however, the video was being recorded at an off-site location, so police only destroyed the camera, not the video footage that had been recorded up to that point.

A police spokesperson has announced that, “A thorough review into what occurred during that operation will be conducted once all of the facts have been collected.”  The incident is being referred to as a “personnel matter.”

The collective was not considered to be one of the 18 exempt collectives in Long Beach which have permits from the city and are technically allowed to operate.  However, the collective was operating in compliance with state law.

Below is footage of the raid and the aftermath left behind:

dabzaplenty said on Jul 5, 2012

That is FUCKING BULL SHIT!!! pardon my language but these fucking cops think they can do whatever they want i hope they get the shit sued out of them.

Mike-420 said on Jul 5, 2012

Oh there going down.. Pointing at the camera saying Smash the fucking evidence.. gimmie a break!

Kurrupt ass pigglets.

blankie said on Jul 5, 2012

What ever became of that one incident where they shot someones dog during a raid?

KushBowlzz said on Jul 6, 2012

if it gets big enough there defs all fired

budderznwaxes said on Jul 6, 2012

yo fuck a chain fuck a car save all your money buy as many guns as possible bring 3rd world kids over here that are use to this shit and give em a place to live give em 10 bucks theyll shoot any of these fucks im sick of this shit this stupid masonic gov run by a bunch of reptiles is gunna be abolished before i leave this density

DaJointGuy said on Jul 6, 2012

They won't get fired, suspended WITH pay most likely, if the evidence holds up in court,

Salyer said on Jul 6, 2012

I agree with budderznwaxes… gives these pieces of shit a taste of there own money… im so fucking sick of the police thinking they can do what ever the fuck they want, whenever the fuck they want, fuck every police officer in america! i hope you all get cancer of the face and brain and fucking suffer to death!

Tinkzilla said on Jul 6, 2012

Can't trust the police… this is why I have a concealed carry permit with a gun all the time..

TrichJuice said on Jul 6, 2012

Those cops deserve to have their hands tied up, be pushed down onto their knees and shot in the back of the head. Humans with a mentality like this need to be eradicated and destroyed for the greater good. Just seeing this ruined my day.

• 1

Mike-420 said on Jul 7, 2012

Take a few hits and relax lol im not sure we need to go as far as eradicating our fellow humans :P But we do need to at the very least take away the power we allow them to wield over us :D

Kenobi said on Jul 6, 2012

I think saying they deserve death or any act of violence for this makes us no better than them. That won't bring about change, that will only make them feel more justified in their acts, and portray the MMJ community as an aggressive one, which I don't really feel is an accurate representation of who we are.

said on Jul 6, 2012

I thought I smelled bacon.

juan_cPa_ said on Jul 6, 2012

wtf did that foo step on him??? that is some racist shit, most likely nothing will be done about this and it is bullshit how they let these guys get away with things like that…such disrespect, fuck the police!

bhoTide said on Jul 7, 2012

YUPPPPP!.. this is my friends Club.. they fucked shit up there.. also kidnapped there Security guard.. what i know.. is that they're gonna continue to fight on.. and try there BEST to keep going.. so far they know the cops will hold off.. but you never know..

Salyer said on Jul 7, 2012

You have obviously never been arrested Kenobi! or you would feel the same fucking way about the piles of shit! even if i didnt smoke cannabis i SITLL hate them! so it has nothing to do with cannabis for me! they are bad people!!! that cop stepped on that dude for god sakes! so why dont you come back when you actually know hwta it feels like to be fucked over by the cops!

• 4

Mike-420 said on Jul 7, 2012

Ive been arrested locked in county jail for months.. I still dont wish death on those who put me there or kept me from leaving there…

Nothing good for them..Yes..But death.. No..

• 0

Kenobi said on Jul 7, 2012

Don't make such an assumption. I have been arrested several times buddy, I have been horribly mistreated by cops as well, and I don't wish acts of violence on them. They broke several of my ribs while apprehending me when I was on mushrooms, I have been treated probably worse than you by cops, so I think you need to check what you're saying before you come off as any more of an idiot. Seriously, you speak of that which you do not know.

• 2

Kenobi said on Jul 7, 2012

If you don't agree with my morals, then at least understand the political reasons I think violence is a poor solution to our problem. If we come off as super aggressive, or in your case murderous, then what do you think our chances of convincing people that cannabis is a harmless substance are? All they will see is these people who regularly smoke weed wanting to kill police officers. While that might make perfect sense to you, think of how that looks to the average onlooker. It looks pretty bad. Makes marijuana look pretty bad. Marijuana looking bad damages the legalization effort. If historical events are any indicator, civil disobedience can be just as effective a method of rebellion as violent disobedience, and it always makes your party look better. Rarely do you see people criticizing the way Gandhi brought about change.

Mike-420 said on Jul 7, 2012

Wit so much drama in the LBC its kinda hard being a mutha fuckin Dispensary !

Elvers said on Jul 7, 2012

hay guy's don't give up yet!! the apples court gave a lot of back up to the dispensary's by law they have the right to operate with out provocation, that's the law.these bastard's can get sued up the yingyang for doing what they just did on camera yet.!!!

Gossett said on Jul 7, 2012

I just hope the guy that stepped on gets some kind of monetary compensation as the police officer who did what he did to him did this without merit or causation. He did exactly as he was told and they still abused him. Police officers as we know do not follow the law, albeit there are a few that do. However, what the so called "officer" did was completely unjustified. The shop should look for compensation also because of the damage they did. I just hope you have good lawyers working your case so you both will be amply compensated.

said on Jul 7, 2012

Can we just be honest and call a spade a spade? These aren't Police officers sworn to uphold the constitution any more…They are Hired Thugs sworn to uphold the special interest groups, corporations, and bankers like JP Morgan chase who donated 2 mil to the NYPD during the occupy wallstreet protests..First thing u need to stop doing is calling them sir like a little bitch.

PeacefulRebel said on Jul 7, 2012

This sickens me. Look at that business just destroyed. Hours and hours of blood sweat and tears all ripped off by some unlawful pigs. I wish they had a hidden camera to reveal what actually went on during the raiding of the product. I bet they smoked some of the dank :o

KUSHDUDE said on Jul 9, 2012

FUCK THE POLICE!! Those looked like state cops…WTF?!!!

ensignharry said on Jul 12, 2012

how do the individual officers sleep at night, if stomped on an innocent guy i would feel terrible. Every dispensary should install hidden cameras but they need to consult legal council first to avoid wire tapping charges, maybe a tiny sign somewhere saying audio and video being recorded. Also when the cops rock up everyone busts out there phones/cameras and start filming, i film cops every time i see them every one should all the time

dayzaway99 said on Jul 18, 2012

the police are just another gang out there, a gang you need to always look out for because they are the biggest gang with the most funding since we fund them. by themselves one pig is not dangerous get them in a group of 3 and more and they will gang rape your girl friend if shes hott, they will beat your ass down as long as no ones watching they will take your money and your life if you don't defend yourself. So anytime you guys see a cop and he's by himself make sure you kill that mother fucker before he gets you or anyone else in your family.

BuDrO said on Jul 20, 2012

Dosent matter if there feds or cops they all lie and some corrupt too, they sed it was a personal matter aha fuckin idiots, like we all say FUCK THE POLICE and the system

Unza said on Jul 26, 2012

I don't like what the cops did (and I have been pushed in a hallway and searched by a male cop in the South Bronx in 1971 and taken in on a phony charge) but I agree with Kenobi. I know the anger is overwhelming but retaliation and shooting cops is not going to do our cause one darned bit!
    Take that anger and try to use it constructively to bring about the change that is needed. Once you become like them you lose.

The way to win this battle is with our brains. We need to put pro mj people in political office so we can fight from the inside to make the change that is needed. We're not criminals or animals. They are.