Marijuana Group Suing City of Los Angeles to Stop Collective Ban

On Friday, a group of medical marijuana advocates announced that they are suing the city of Los Angeles to stop the impending ban on medical marijuana collectives.

Patient Care Alliance, a medical marijuana trade group, has filed a suit to allege that the dispensary ban violates the constitutional right of freedom of assembly.

The leader of PCA, Marc O’Hara, said that the ordinance is “heartless” and denies patients the right to come together and care for one another.  In addition to banning collectives, the city’s ordinance also prohibits groups of more than three people from growing marijuana together.

In addition to the lawsuit, other groups are also working to have the ban repealed.  Americans for Safe Access and the Greater Los Angeles Collectives Alliance are working together with a medical marijuana labor union to collect signatures to stop the ban.  For the referendum to take place, the groups need to collect almost 27,500 signatures.

The city of Los Angeles’ Special Asst. City Atty. Jane Usher said the city has not yet seen the lawsuit and they have no comment on the matter.

Stimulator said on Aug 18, 2012

yes!this is exactly the artcle that i was hoping to see!thanks a lot nuggetry save LA!

Elvers said on Aug 18, 2012

this is what I was hoping to see also because they have it coming to them big time!! they don't want to talk about it Bull Shit they knew it was going to happen just like I did.

Oilhead420 said on Aug 18, 2012

I always thought we would have a case for the pursuit of happiness, medical happiness that is. I don't know if that would work, but I think something similar has been done before.

ErrlnDank said on Aug 19, 2012

for some odd reason i think this is to control marijuana trafficing into LA i think its like a back then when the US gov was smuggling cocaine into the US with freeway rick ross and making them smoke crack and shit but this time its with "mexican cartels" and there swag weed

Jay_Medic said on Aug 19, 2012

This is eactly what we need to do, they push us back, we push just as hard forward!! #NORML

Gossett said on Aug 21, 2012

Everybody who has the chance to sign this should. Believe me, if I lived in L A County my name would be first on the list. Fight the Power!!!!