Medical Marijuana Bill Introduced in Florida

On Wednesday, members of the Florida Senate and House introduced a new medical marijuana bill.  State Bill 1250 aims to make possession of four ounces or less of marijuana legal for individuals suffering from serious health conditions.

The bill is also being referred to as the Cathy Jordan Medical Cannabis Act.  Jordan is a Manatee County resident who suffers from Lou Gherig’s disease.  On Monday, she had 23 marijuana plants seized from her home by police, despite the fact that she uses them to treat her symptoms.

The bill was introduced by Senator Jeff Clemens.  He was not available for comment, but the Marijuana Policy Project’s Mason Tvert, who played a large role in the passage of Amendment 64 in Colorado, spoke out in favor of SB 1250.

“Unfortunately Florida’s been a little bit behind much of the rest of the country when it comes to medical marijuana. This is just the second time to my knowledge that it’s been done and it’s well past due,” Tvert explained.

A recent poll conducted by the Miami Herald showed that almost 70% of Floridians support medical marijuana legalization.  Only 24% were in opposition.

Wentworth said on Mar 2, 2013

FINALLLLYYYY

spkavyo said on Mar 2, 2013

Go Florida! When all the senior citizens find out medical marijuana will help their arthritis, diabetes pain in the feet and legs and could slow down their cancerous tumors it will be big business in FL. Go Silver Tour, you're doing great work!

redlaser said on Mar 2, 2013

70% support is pretty high, hope Florida representaves pay attention to that when they vote on this.

Hxcody45 said on Mar 2, 2013

As a Florida resident this would make me so happy to see happen. I'm so damn tired of my money going to low lifes who are only in it for the money and not for the well being of their consumers/patients. Hopefully the ball stays rolling!

slowwevo said on Mar 3, 2013

Once again, I can not stress how important it is for you in Florida to contact your senate and house reps,and let your voices be heard,this is the 3rd time btw…and twice now floridians were silent,even when polling suggested otherwise…..you must let them know,that they don't stand a chance at reelection if they don't start doing what the people ask for…..

Hxcody45 said on Mar 3, 2013

Exactly I try and tell as many people as I come across that it isn't enough to just have this attitude against your state, itll get us nowhere. What we need is more involvement, not just for medical marijuana but can be anything someone is passionate about, because that is the only way anyone is going to see any change. If we continue to act as criminals here then we already do half the polices job for them already and most of them don't even want to be issuing citations and arrests for something so trivial now.

Despo said on Mar 3, 2013

Lets go Florida !

slowwevo said on Mar 5, 2013

well as of this morning S1250 in the senate and hb1139 in the house are alive and well,I encourage all floridians—–please contact your local district senate and house reps through emails via the .gov websites,I would try to stay positive and respectful and on point…..Cheers

Beach said on Mar 14, 2013

Childhood polio in the 50's left me with terrible pain in my legs all my life. I am now off completly from pain pills and just a few puffs a few times a day and I live a normal life. Pain free. I do live in fear of the Cops raiding me like they did to Kathy Jordan. God I hope this passes in Florida. I cant wait much longer, getting too old to live much longer. Would like to die pain free one day.

xxfinnacexx said on Mar 28, 2013