Obama Justifies Federal Actions Against Medical Marijuana

In an interview with Rolling Stone Magazine, President Obama has clarified his statements about the medical marijuana industry in response to many industry insiders feeling deceived by the President.

Many supporters of medical marijuana have felt betrayed by Obama, because previous statements led people to believe that Obama would not interfere with the state laws that have legalized medical marijuana.  Obama had stated in 2008, “I’m not going to be using Justice Department resources to try to circumvent state laws on this issue.”

However, since that statement was made, DEA officials have conducted raids throughout the medical marijuana states, most recently in California.  During an interview with Rolling Stone, Obama spoke to clarify the issue.

Obama explained, “Here’s what’s up: What I specifically said was that we were not going to prioritize prosecutions of persons who are using medical marijuana. I never made a commitment that somehow we were going to give carte blanche to large-scale producers and operators of marijuana – and the reason is, because it’s against federal law. I can’t nullify congressional law.”

He also continued to explain that the murky area in the entire situation is when large commercial operations are suspected of potentially supplying marijuana to both medical and recreational users.

Walter G Arce / Shutterstock.com

Elvers said on Apr 25, 2012

he's playing the cya game

XJ13 said on Apr 25, 2012

obama didnt and will never get my vote in general Ron Paul

dankOG420 said on Apr 26, 2012

He's not going to have an easy time getting re-elected with statements like that. Imagine how many weed smokers voted for him because of him "lax"'views on pot…Good luck Obama, you'll need it…

kushjunkie420 said on Apr 26, 2012

With statistics third party candidates rarely win so even though in my opinion Ron Paul is the best candidate he doesn't have much of a chance to win and voting for him gives The worst president in history a better chance of reelection.

• 1

JackDanieL said on Apr 28, 2012

One GOP candidate openly said this year that he believes that anyone caught with 2 ounces of pot should get the DEATH PENALTY.

Go ahead, vote against Obama….

I'm willing to bet that if you were to engage in a 5 minute discussion on politics, with someone who actually pays close attention to them, your complete lack of knowledge would shine right through your misguided anger.

SIMadamsON said on Apr 26, 2012

Just because I dont agree with obama on one singular issue and that in the larger scale of things really isn't very important to the success of America, I still think that he is a good president. I want to see marijuana legalized for both recreational and medical use as much as the next person. However I'm not going to call obama the worst president in the history of america because of recent actions that the DEA has taken.
    I do think that there are much more important issues that obama needs to deal with (economy, foreign relations, education..etc.) and his administration should not be wasting time on busting dispensaries.
    The DEA should be focusing on making sure illegal drugs can't make it over the border from places like mexico where cartels and other terrorist organizations are becoming rich off the drug trade. And not be focusing on dispensaries on American soil that provide an alternative source of medicine for patients in need and marijuana for people who want a quality product that smoke for recreation.

mailman said on Apr 27, 2012

Obama = lies, dont trust him anymore, no health care , no jobs , no weed and more taxes.
    what is there to love this guy?
    51% of the U.S. wants legal marijuana, he just lost the votes

• 6

JackDanieL said on Apr 27, 2012

No sir. You are absolutely entitled to your own opinions (however misinformed they may be), but as they say in the movies "facts are facts", and you are not entitled to your own set of those.

No health care you say.
      He passed the largest healthcare reform bill in generations, eliminating the term "pre-existing condition", allowing young adults to stay on their parents coverage, closing the Medicare Prescription Drug Doughnut Hole that was costing seniors hundreds or thousands in extra and unnecessary script bills. And thats just the beginning, so I call bullshit.

No jobs you say.
      When the man took office, our economy was (and had been for the better part of 2008) shedding anywhere from 700,000-800,000 jobs PER MONTH. Obama takes office and we've been ADDING roughly 200,000 per month – a swing of nearly ONE MILLION JOBS PER MONTH. All while he fights a Republican Party who swears that the government CAN NOT create jobs.

More taxes you say.
      The ARRA (aka The Stimulus) included THE LARGEST MIDDLE CLASS TAX CUT IN HISTORY. Holy fuck bro.

No weed you say.
      Sorry to hear that as I dab the best fullmelt on earth on my lunch break.

0,8,10 — thats all ya gotta remember folks

We all want the candidate that will do everything we want, all the time, 10 out of 10 times.
      He/she DOES NOT EXIST, sorry!

So that leaves 8 and 0.
      Obama does what I want about 8/10 times.
      Mitt Romney will do what I want exactly 0/10 times. Or 0/10,000 times for that matter.

And before anyone screeches at me about Ron Paul, if you look back at the voting records of every single congressman from 1937 till now – check every vote they cast whether they served one term in Congress, or have made a lifelong career out of it (like Paul, who ironically originally ran for Congress on a "term limits" platform). At the top of that list you will find the most liberal voters, but if you scroll down….furhter …..further down……keep going….al the way to the goddamn very bottom of that list, guess who – OUT OF EVERY CONGRESSMAN EVER – has the Most Conservative voting record?

Ahhhhh whats up Doc?

CleanVaporTrails said it well above. I'll expand on it by saying that being a one-issue voter might just be the definition of ignorance.

dallas said on Apr 27, 2012

I think the problem is (and remains) that this administration lied (be it by insinuation OR by omission) and I don't think its unreasonable for people to be upset at him for that.

It's troubling to see him suggest he won't go after patients (federally illegal) and will let the states regulate as they see fit and not apply this practice in general.

The amount saved & the tax revenue generated is incidental in the big scheme of things in running the business of America but the dishonesty and hypocrisy on this issue underscores what many feel is par for the course on a host of others.

His (now infamous) statement was: “I will not be using justice department resources to circumvent state law on this issue, simply because I want folks to be investigating violent crimes and potential terrorism. We have got a lot of things for our law enforcement officers to deal with.”

It should be noted that his insistence in directing the DEA to circumvent state laws is directly in contrast with this statement.

It's sad really. For all the "liberal" talk… Obama policies have been tougher on the social liberals in many ways than George Bush.

• 0

JackDanieL said on Apr 27, 2012

"Obama policies have been tougher on the social liberals in many ways than George Bush."

Gays now serving openly in the military might beg to differ.
      Its a tangled web, governing.

Gossett said on Apr 27, 2012

This just irritates me to no end. That's all I can say at this point.

dieselhaze said on Apr 27, 2012

so obama finally admitted to his lies

HeadHunter said on Apr 27, 2012

Obama, hate him love him, it doesn't matter, look at actual statistics of his administration and you'll see that things are getting better. But "better" isn't good enough for most folks. We want things to be Awesome!!!!… Obama didn't promise that, he promised that in 10 years things would be back on track, (watch his acceptance speach). He's been battling congress for almost the entirety of his term its little wonder he cant even get serious about something like weed. He's too busy trying to get the Obscenely Rich to pay for the wars that they've been starting. He's just too lackadaisical on EVERYTHING. The only reason he'll get re-elected is because Ron Paul will be on a Independent label and doesn't have the numbers, and Romney is such a pandering piece of shit that nobody, NOBODY (not even fellow republicans) will trusts his views.

dayzaway99 said on Apr 28, 2012

I am with head hunter, if you guys step back and look at the big picture, these past four years have not been riddled with crack downs, Yes they have raided unfairly but ALOT more damage couldve been done, and it was substantially less than when george w. bush was in office. Now as new initiatives keep being introduced which include amendments to nullify the federal laws from interrupting are being introduced. The reality of the matter is that mjj in california cannot be stopped only slowed down, which is what obama has been trying to do, as it is not a properly established system as it is in colorado, making it harder for state officials to decide whether or not a collective is running things legally. Once everything is set and ratified the federal government will have to find another state to harass. In the mean time we need to keep anti medical marijuana abolitionist out of office like mitt romney, and newt gingrich, If this country had any sort of brains or heart ron paul wouldve been voted president a long time ago.

• 0

JackDanieL said on Apr 28, 2012

I loved your statement up until the very end.

A question I have yet to get answered by Ron Paul supporters:

Paul says that he would eliminate the Department of Energy on Day 1.
      So here's my question:
      At lunchtime of Day 1, after the Dept. of Energy is "gone", who the fuck will keep track of our nation's nuclear arsenal and who will oversee our aging and decrepit nuclear power plants?

Free market?

Libertarians have all the answers, until you remind them of the two great motivators – FEAR & GREED

GGLynzee said on Apr 30, 2012

I just wanna say that with another president, whom ever would have beat OBAMA may have done WORSE for the MMJ movement and such…. who knows… all I know is that everyone says what is needed to get where they wanna be in politics… period.. I hate discussing them most of the time,. but I don't know if a new president is the right idea…. i dont know if it's a wrong idea.. I just hope that the MMJ community doesn't get further screwed….period

Sm0kindr0 said on May 2, 2012

Hey Obama! Can I have some of that change now please? I got $19.07 and I'm trying to get a gram.