INFOGRAPHIC: Alcohol vs. Marijuana

The Eighteenth Amendment to the Constitution had put prohibition into place, making the manufacture, distribution, and sale of alcoholic beverages illegal in the United States.  Passage of the Eighteenth Amendment in 1919 quickly proved highly unpopular among the American people.  Crime rates soared under Prohibition as gangsters made millions of dollars on illegal alcohol sales, and corruption was common among law enforcement agencies.  As a result, alcohol prohibition was repealed by the Twenty-First Amendment in 1933.  As we all know, alcohol is now sold in various stores on pretty much every corner throughout the country.

Having apparently not learned from the failures of alcohol prohibition, US lawmakers established marijuana prohibition under the Marihuana Tax Act of 1937.  Despite over 60 years of marijuana prohibition, marijuana remains the third most popular recreational drug of choice in the United States.  Calls for the reclassification of marijuana to remove it from its Schedule I status have been ignored; marijuana is put on the same level as harmful drugs such as heroin and ecstasy.  Drugs that are still considered to be less harmful than marijuana according to the Federal Drug Enforcement Administration include cocaine and methamphetamine.  While marijuana is allowed for medical patients in some states and low-level possession is decriminalized in others, marijuana is still considered to be completely illegal under federal law.

Many marijuana supporters argue that the drug is far less harmful than alcohol, and there are facts to back that up.  This infographic compares alcohol vs. marijuana.  After seeing statistics such as these, which only represent a few of the differences between marijuana and alcohol, which seems more harmful?  Whether it be a political, religious, or personal agenda, there is an unfair stigma against marijuana that needs to be broken in the United States.

Image Source: ELE

Search by tags: , ,

Oilhead420 said on Aug 1, 2012

I always try to argue this stuff to my Dad, as long as people of that generation with their stubborn views of marijuana are alive we won't get it legalized. I believe once our generation is old and in power we will have a fair shot.

lucysux said on Aug 1, 2012

missing a whole bunch of states! get some updated and current content. this is supposed to be the NEWs!

• 1

lucy said on Aug 1, 2012

Didn't make the infographic, just sharing from another site! Thanks for making a username in my honor, though!

• 2

dallas said on Aug 1, 2012

If all you got from the info-graphic was which states were marked green… you missed the point.

ogbreadman@420 said on Aug 1, 2012

I agree oilhead I was telling my moms the same. The effects of Alcohol are 20times tray of sticky weed

Mattywanna said on Aug 1, 2012

Very informative? I think both should be treated with respect. And that is up to the individual.

Mattywanna said on Aug 1, 2012

Didn't mean the ? haha

alpha said on Aug 1, 2012

awesome article-wow oregon is rockin with per person ounces allowed-I nevered knew that. It doesn't cause cancer it sures it ( in some cases) that really says it all. I don't think even the most anti weed person would deny that weed helps with appetite/sleep. And now Drs are supporting it in cancer research/ a judge in NY who just passed used it to help him with his side effects from cancer that just recently took his life/ along with some of the most influential people around have used or use mj on a reg basis. Our president have used it( although some refuse to say they inhaled-what a joke) Athletes and pretty much people from every walk of life take advantage of the many attributes of this wonder herb. I personally have a huge 15 yr. battle with back pain and although I cannot say the generic weed I get in a non med state can help directly with pain-it does take my mind of of the pain and help me relax. All of this and I have not even touched on The uses of hemp. Schedule 1-No way please-cocaine and meth less dangerous-com' on son lets get on track here and be on the forefront of the world in taking advantage of what this herb can do for us. If you want to come down on those who use it and grow it in non legal states then fine but leave the states alone that have decided to legalize it. Of course I should shut my mouth and just pop pills like vicadine and oxy's-those won't harm you-right?

Mike-420 said on Aug 1, 2012

Great read thanks for posting it :D

NISMOTOKER said on Aug 2, 2012

very informative i wish every politician could see this .

ed081873 said on Aug 2, 2012

@Alpha I agree with your post 100%…Im a grown azz man (38) and everytime I am in the company of my father, he always has to bring up the fact that I medicate with MJ. He calls me every name in the book. But get this, he smoked cigs for 44 years(he just recently quit because the doctor told him he had to) he drinks alcohol about 3-4 times per week, the amount varies. Yet, even though I do NONE of those, Im still an outlaw to him. Luckily I am not younger and still living under his roof…but its the point that really bothers me. No matter how much literature I try to get him to read, or information I try telling him, he still thinks in his mind that MMJ is a drug like cocaine, heroin, crack, etc. That blows my mind! I understand that his generation (he is 68 years old) always thinks MMJ is so bad because when he was younger, the information available today about it and its benefits were unknown. However, I cannot stand his ignorance that he refuses to think differently now in the year 2012 with all the info I have tried giving him to read. He lives in the past, he doesnt even know how to turn on a computer. Some may say who cares what he thinks, as I am a grown man, but it is important to me because he is the only family I have left. I could sit in front of him and drink liquor straight out the bottle and in his eyes, it isnt wrong! WTF! Or I could sit there and smoke a pack of cigarettes and that isnt wrong either! I gave up trying to convince him otherwise…Ignorance is the perfect word to describe him and his thinking. There was a time in my life where I tore a ligament in my ankle/foot and was prescribed Percocet for about 4 months straight. When it came time to stop, I couldnt. I was a full pain pill junkie! I had to get on a Suboxone program to get off the Percocet! He never said a word negatively about it. At that time I was living under his roof. Percocet, Vicodin, Oxy, they are ALL legal clean forms of medical Heroin in my opinion since they all come from the opiod poppy. Pain management clinics practically give the pills away if you have a legitimate reason to be on them. But dont even think of firing up the vaporizer or packing a bowl because MJ is just so bad! That is why I totally agree with Alpha's post…it is not going to change until the generation now changes and we become the next generation that see things so much differently!

rayc1962 said on Aug 2, 2012

Every new generation since 1937 that comes to power, changes and the intolerant bullies take over. The cannabis societies of today, must no longer tolerate force in society. Research Stefan Molyneux, or free domain radio to get what I mean.

Elvers said on Aug 2, 2012

ed081873 I'm 65 I 've been smoking since 1964 back in the beatnik and hippie days it was better than being drunk and throwing up for a couple of days or more.that was stupid to even do it getting drunk that is. if your old man can understand this witch he won't he'll never get it my mother was the same way old school never got it and I smoked right in front of her to prove a point but no avail. shes dead from the alcohol and her tb came back with help from drinking and smoking cigarettes.I guess that's what will happen to him.so you have to learn to let it go. don't push on him cause it will happen. in the mean time keep yourself going.In the long run you will survive it all.